The Irish Biogeographical Society was founded in 1975. It encourages the study of Irish biodiversity, especially the distribution of plants and animals. The Society is also interested in the biogeographical implications of colonisation and past history. From its inception, the Society has published an annual Bulletin. In 2015, the thirty-ninth issue was produced. The series now contains an impressive database including information on biota outside Ireland. In 1986, a series of Occasional Publications was initiated. The eleventh volume (A catalogue and atlas of the caddisflies (Trichoptera) of Ireland) appeared in 2015 (details given below). The Occasional Publications provide a useful means of publishing the proceedings of conferences or large articles on particular groups. In 2005, another series (Macro Series) was established. It is suitable for major checklists and bibliographies. Eight titles have now appeared in the new series.
The Society is voluntary and non-profit making. Funding consists of members' subscriptions and sponsorship. All the money is used for the production, printing and distribution of its publications. The subscription is €15 or £10 per annum and entitles the member to receive the annual bulletin. In addition, Occasional Publications are sometimes provided free of charge. The Society maintains a stock of its publications. Where issues have become exhausted, photocopies will be provided. The price of each bulletin is the same as the annual subscription (€15 or £10). Reductions are given for large orders. Details of the Occasional Publications and Macro Series are given overleaf. The contents of the Bulletins and the Occasional Publications are also listed. Orders or enquiries may be sent using e-mail via the Treasurer Mr John Walsh or the Editor Dr J.P. O'Connor or in writing to the Irish Biogeographical Society c/o Dr J. P. O'Connor, National Museum of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. Cheques should be made payable to the Irish Biogeographical Society.
This work is divided into two parts: a catalogue and an atlas. In the catalogue, the Irish caddisfly (Trichoptera) fauna is reviewed. A checklist of the 149 valid species is presented. Detailed information is provided on the Irish and European distributions along with data on ecology, flight periods and taxonomy. Sections listing published and unpublished records are included. There is a comprehensive bibliography. In addition, there are accounts of the history of Irish caddisfly studies, identification and recording. The atlas contains full page maps showing the Irish distribution of each species with 10km square records plotted using longitude and latitude. The maps are based on an analysis of some 20,000 records, both published and unpublished.
Occasional Publication Number 11. A catalogue and atlas of the caddisflies (Trichoptera) of Ireland. James P. O'Connor. A5 format, thread-sewn. Published in association with the National Museum of Ireland, 11 December 2015. viii+646 pages. 519 figures including line-drawings, colour and black/white photographs. ISBN 978-0-9550806-8-5. Prices: €20 within Ireland; €25 the rest of Europe; €30 the rest of the world (Postage and packaging included in the price). Copies may be order from the Irish Biogeographical Society via the Treasurer Mr John Walsh or the Editor Dr J.P. O'Connor or in writing to the Irish Biogeographical Society c/o Dr J. P. O'Connor, National Museum of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. Cheques should be made payable to the Irish Biogeographical Society.
1. O'Connor, J. P. (2013) Checklisting the Irish insects. Antenna 37(3): 124-127. Reproduced from Antenna (Bulletin of the Royal Entomological Society) with kind permission of the Society. Click here for PDF (0.5mb)
2. Murray, D. A., Langton, P. H., O'Connor, J. P. and Ashe, P. J. (2013) Distribution records of Irish Chironomidae (Diptera): part 1 - Buchonomyiinae, Podonominae, Tanypodinae, Telmatogetoninae, Diamesinae and Prodiamesinae. Bulletin of the Irish Biogeographical Society 37: 208-336. Click here for PDF (0.8mb)
3. Murray, D. A., Langton, P. H., O'Connor, J. P. and Ashe, P. (2014) Distribution records of Irish Chironomidae (Diptera): part 2 - Orthocladiinae. Bulletin of the Irish Biogeographical Society 38: 61-246. Click here for PDF (1mb)
4. Murray, D. A., Langton, P. H., O'Connor, J. P. and Ashe, P. (2015) Distribution records of Irish Chironomidae (Diptera): part 3 - Chironominae. Bulletin of the Irish Biogeographical Society 39: 7-192. Click here for PDF (1mb)
5. O'Connor, J. P., Nash, R. and Fitton, M. G. (2007) A catalogue of the Irish Ichneumonidae (Hymenoptera: Ichneumonoidea). Occasional Publication of the Irish Biogeographical Society Number 10. 310pp. ISBN 978-0-9550806-1-6 (printed copies also available from the Society, see Occasional Publications section for details). Click here for PDF (3mb)
6. Scientific publications of the Editor (James P. O'Connor) for the years 1977-2015 (Provided at the request of the Chairman and Committee of the Society). Click here for PDF (200kb)
7. Nash, R. and O'Connor, J. P. (2011) Notes on the Irish entomologist Alexander Henry Haliday (1806-1870). Bulletin of the Irish Biogeographical Society 35: 64-112. Click here for PDF (4mb)